Sunday, December 04, 2005

My first post, and it's a rant!

I've finally gotten up the courage to start a diabetes related blog. I've read many fantastic blogs, and I've been inspired to try it. I am not by any means a good writer. My spelling often will be wrong. I will often be stressed out and ranting. But I invite you to read. I've been living with diabetes for 17 years. I am 18. I do not know a life without diabetes. This is both a blessing and a curse, depending on which day you ask me. :-)
Today was a site change day. Ok, if you want to get technical, last night was site change day, but I didn't do it. Naughty me. I had enough insulin and the site was working fine, so sue me! On a good day, and site change will take me 10 minutes or less. Today, was NOT a good day. It started with lots of air bubbles in the catridge that would not leave. I spent over 10 minutes messing around with it before I was satisfied. Everything went smoothly until I went to put the site in. I've been using my arms lately. After almost 6 years of pumping exclusively in the stomach, it needed a break, so I've been using my arms, and taking advantage of the cold weather and long sleeves to hide the sites. I decided to be slightly adventurous and try the back of my arms. I use quick-sets, 6mm. To put the set in using the quick-serter, you have to press 2 little white buttons at the same time. This was one of those days that they did NOT want to release at the same time. Finally, the site goes in. This is accompanied by a flash of pain that did not leave. Great. Do I leave it in, and suffer from potential pain and a high blood sugar, or take it out? Like I almost always do, I leave it in. The pains relieves slightly, and I make a note of the time so I can check my blood sugar in an hour. I put away all of my site change things and start to hall out homework. I reach down my sleeve to adjust the tubing, and I feel something sticky. This is not good. I feel around a little more, and feel the canula. (#&$!!! I quickly remove my sleeve to see blood and a pump site just barely hanging one. Great, just great. I really didn't want to do homework anyway! What better to do than do yet another site change! As I grab my supplies, I realize I have only 1 site left with me. I am not in the dorm this weekend, and I thought I had brought more than enough supplies. I thought wrong. My last good site is in, and it better be a good one, or I'm back on shots for the rest of the weekend. That would be a nightmare at this point. I'm out of practice with shots in the first place, but I'm also on steroids for a lung illness, which has dramatically increased my insulin needs.
I hate changing my pump site today. Most days, it really doesn't bother me. Sure, it's an annoyance, but it's annoyance that allows me great freedom and good health. But today, I hate it. I hate that I have to rely on this stupid machine with it's tubing and tapes and cartidges. In short, I WANT MY CURE!
I hope my first attempt at a blogger post wasn't a complete failure.
I ask a favor of anyone reading this: Could you please comment? Until I know how this goes, I won't be actively telling anyone about it, but I would like to know if anyone happens to stumble across it! Thanks so much!

7 comments:

Kerri. said...

Jen,

I love your blog. And I think you should keep posting. I promise to become a Faithful Reader if you decide to continue with this. There's something very theraputic about blogging about diabetes, in that it feels good to get those concerns and yes, those rants!, out there.

Please continue. And please let me know when it's okay to link your site from mine. It would be an honor to announce your New Blog.

Kerri.

Kerri. said...

Sidenote: Have you ever tried your thigh as an infusion site? It's my personal Site of Choice.

Jen said...

Hey Kerri,
So far the one and only reader of my blog! Welcome!
I have tried my thigh. It was not a pleasent experience. I tried 2 and both were ripped out within half an hour. Someday I may try again, but for now it's the stomach and arms for me.

Kerri. said...

Get ready, Jen. There's soon to be many more readers!

Keith said...

Hey Jen, welcome to the OC, I'm a blogging newbie too and unfortunately don't post all that often.

About site changes, I only change twice a week. That means 3 days on one, 4 on the other... for the week if you know what I mean. I've not had a problem. I don't push it any longer than 4 though, so hey I know what you mean, sue me!

Best wishes on the new school year. I have two sons that started back Tuesday so I can vicariously feel the pain.

Scott K. Johnson said...

Hi Jen,

I found you! I saw the link on Kerri's site and figured I'd come check it out.

Please keep posting! Like Kerri said - it is very theraputic about blogging - it's a safe place to get stuff out there that you want to talk about. The good, the bad and the other.

I was diagnosed when I was 5 years old, so like you I don't know any other life. Doesn't make it any easier though.

Anonymous said...

Just stumbled across your blog and I love it! Thanks for taking the time & energy to do this! I'm a Mom of a 16 year old HS Junior who will soon be off to college and dealing with all the same issues. I will let her know about your blog!