Monday, January 21, 2008


Today was one of those nightmarish days. I have clinical rotations at the hospitals on Mondays and Tuesdays. Today was my first day back after surgery. I was not on top of my game.
I do not usually tell the nurse I'm working with that I'm diabetic. It is generally unnecessary information, and a lot of people in the medical field have preconceived notions about diabetes that I just do not need to deal with. I generally manage my blood sugars pretty well during clincals, so it's not an issue.
Today, however, I did not manage well at all. I went from an astounding(not in a good way!) 426 to 59. Within 2 hours. Right around 3pm I started feeling thirsty, and since it had been a few hours since I had last checked, I thought, why not- my lunch bolus could be a little off. I washed my hands, pricked my finger and waited. And waited. And waited. As Cozmonitor users will know, the longer it takes to get a results, the higher it is. My anxiety level rose with each passing second. I almost gasped out loud when I saw the result. As soon as I saw it, I realized I had no backup supplies with me. It would be another 4 hours before I could get insulin if my site was bad. I took an astronomically large bolus and prayed for the best. 2 hours later, I was 59. I guess the site worked after all. I will be putting extra supplies in my bag, and hope that tomorrow is a better day.


Chris said...

Sorry to hear about your up and down day. Hope that tomorrow brings a more steady day.

Felix Kasza said...

Hi Jen,

nothing like a little rage bolusing to make us humble again ....

By the way, given that you are doing clinicals, couldn't you just ask for a syringe, draw the dose from the pump reservoir, and inject by hand? At least, that would eliminate the need to drag a reserve infusion set along.

Oh, and I am happy to hear your appendectomy went well. I presume it was a lap appy? Mine (in '76) was open, and I still remember that annoying feeling the day after the surgery, when I did half-pullups on the handle above the hospital bed, and I could feel my stitches go pop - pop - pop. :-) Surgery is much improved these days!