Thursday, February 07, 2008

Guardian, take two

I really wanted to post on this a long time ago, but sometimes life just gets in the way.
I picked up the Guardian and some sensors on December 16, with not a lot of expectations. I am happy to say it surpassed every one of my expectations.
It was not dead on, but I no longer expected it to be. It DID catch highs and lows. I did see some trends. I realized I really need to change my habit of bolusing during or after meals. It is just unfair to expect the insulin to "catch up" and compete with the food spikes when the food has such a head start.

I really think the Guardian is a great tool. I really want it back. It caught one low in the middle of the night before I woke up, and that is exactly what I wanted it to do. I was sad, rather than relieved like I was last time, to return the unit after a month.

I don’t know the cause of my last poor experience with the Guardian. The only thing I can figure is that I got some bad sensors. Absolutely everything else stayed exactly the same. It makes me happy and give me hope for the future that I had a successful experience the second time around. I loved having that data. I value the reassurance when I start to feel funny I could look and see where I was and in what direction I was heading. Nothing could replace the feeling it gave me going into surgery having it at my side (more on this later).

I am currently flirting with the idea of trying to pursue insurance coverage. I don't know if I am up for the fight or not. My insurance company won't cover more than 200 test strips a month, I kind of doubt they would pay for something as progressive as a CGMS. I'd love to hear of users of CGMS- do you pay for it out of pocket, or did you get insurance to cough it up?

No comments: