Saturday, February 04, 2006

I. Am. SO. Excited.
I have a room mate for next year.
I don't have to go through the nervous agony of going pot-luck again next year.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my room mate this year. We get along great. We even seriously considered living together next year, but she decided to live with someone else. That left me wondering what I was going to do. Then yesterday, a girl I kind of know came and asked me to live with her next year! I talked to her about the whole, are you OK with needles and blood, and she told me her Grandpa was diabetic. *sigh* We'll deal with the type 1 vs. type 2 thing later. The point is, she's OK with needles and stuff, and I have a HUGE weight off of my mind!
Just wanted to share my joy!

1 comment:

Jen said...

Ellen,
To be honest, I kinnda just blurted it out. We were talking on the phone, and I told her that that I was diabetic. I told her I use an insulin pump and I had to put a needle in my stomach every 3 days. I also had to check my blood sugar, and there was a tiny bit of blood with that. If she had a hard time with needles or blood to let me know, so I could hide them from her. I asked for a room mate who was majoring in a medical field. I didn't get that, but she does have crohn's disease, so she understands life with a chronic, autoimmune disease.
I would just be honest, early. I have seen letters to send out to a room mate, but honestly, I think that would overwhelm most people. Be simple and straightforward. The rest is just luck! Sorry I can't be of more help.